About East Korah Maxwell United Church
The original building was erected in 1896 as a place of worship for the Methodist congregation of East Korah. In May 1896 a half-acre of land was donated by John and Albert Moore and Mary Elizabeth Moore to the trustees of East Korah congregation. Prior to this, and as far back as 1878, the congregation had functioned as part of Korah and Garden River Mission.
The trustees entered into an agreement with George McKenzie, contractor of the town of Sault Ste. Marie, to build a frame church building 24’ X 40’ for the sum of $600., to be completed by August 1, 1896. Furnishings were also ordered at that time for a cost of $86.00.
The congregation entered into church Union on June 10, 1925 and became part of The United Church of Canada. Throughout its history this congregation has been associated with other congregations for pastoral oversight. In 1930 it became part of the Sault Suburban Charge consisting of Maxwell, Tarentours, Prince, and East Korah. In 1963 a realignment took place with East Korah and Maxweel forming a new pastoral charge which has continued to the present time.
In 1961 a basement for a new church, 35’ X 60’, was constructed at a cost of $28,000. And used as a place of worship until a superstructure was ready in 1976.
In 1975 it became evident that the congregation could not afford to erect a superstructure such as the original plans called for, so they launched into a do-it-yourself project with voluntary labour. The project was designed to cover a three-year period. The project, however, was completed sufficiently so that it could be used, in a one-year period. The dedication of the new sanctuary took place on October 10, 1976 with The Very Reverend Willbur K. Howard, Moderator of the United Church, as guest speaker.
The project has now been fully completed with an outlay of over $35,000. In cash, and voluntary labored valued at approximately $21,000. The project was fully paid for upon its completion.
The congregation has a resident membership of 76.
The original church was removed in 1976.