Rydal Bank United Church
The Rydal Bank Pastoral Charge has a long history filled with many changes and times of realignment. At present there are four church buildings standing, but only three congregations due to the closure of the Rydal Bank Church in 1978. The Leeburn and Northland Central Churches are finding times difficult, with an aging population and few young families coming into the area; however, they continue to join for worship each Sunday. The Cloudslee Church has young families continuing to attend, but our Sunday School has had to close. it is uncertain what the future holds for these pioneer churches of Algoma.
The first record of religious activities in Cloudslee was the formation of a class of twelve in the season of 1877-78 at this new appointment of the Bruce Mines Mission. Meeting were held in the McCrea's schoolhouse. Family names mentioned in the records of that year were: McCrea, Robertson and McEwen. In the following years the names of Batty, Pace and Knight appeared. Fifteen years later, Mrs. Cornelius Bell passed away, leaving money in her will for the building of a Methodist church. On January 20th, 1894 a building committee was formed and the tender of John Lamont was accepted to build the church.